WHY WON'T MY TRUCK CRANK?

1995 Nissan Hardbody • 227,000 miles

I have a 95 Nissan pickup. 2.4l 4cyl. One day I was driving it after raising some hell on the pavement and it began loosing power. Within 1/2 a mile it died. It started once more with barely enough power to pull me in the gas station. The motor will turn over but just barely as if the battery were dead, however ive tried numerous times to jump it off. I thought it may have jumped time so I replaced the timing chain but still no change. When trying to crank and motor is just barely turning over I hear an occasional hiss like the sound of compressed air being released. I don't know where to go from here.
Joeymitchell

Check the engine compression.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Go to above link to understand how to go about from here.

Was the timing out when you replaced the chain? It is an interference motor. Check the compression first.

Cranks over a few secs with no start

-Been here yesterday with same symptoms, ends up with a starter problem-drop the starter motor and have it load tested-start here and then let me know-

Yo Jess, why is your expert status not showing? Been promoted?