LOUD THUMPING/KNOCKING

1995 Ford Explorer • 170,000 miles

My explorer recently started knocking loudly. It happens only when I drive my son to school in the morning. And the thumping only last a few seconds. It's conning from under the hood. Not sure exactly where though. The mornings are cold. Not sure if that matters. Almost sounds like there's a animal under there trying to get out but there's not. What could cause this?
Taffey123

Have you checked the belt to make sure it isn't coming apart? Does the sound change or speed up with the speed of the engine? Does it sound like a metallic knock?

I don't hear it until I turn my rig off. Then it thumps loudly under hood for a few seconds then stops. Only seems to do it first drive of the day.

Taffey123
You mentioned that it happens when you drive you child to school, so I assumed it was with the engine running. That is really odd. The engine isn't over heating or anything like that, correct? Also, are you able to open the hood to try and locate an area where the noise is coming from?

It only happens the second I return home from taking him to school just a few blocks away. Right when I shit car off " thump thump thump", it sounds kinda like its on passenger side under hood. I thought I had a cat underneath there the first time. But it stops after I'd say 10-15 knocks. I just drove it to town now and after shutting it off, nothing! Only in the morning. It's crazy.

Taffey123
Sorry I ment shut not shit hahaha.

Taffey123
Ha! You have no idea how many times I write it wrong too. Lol Well, the only thing I can say is before you shut (not shit) the car off tomorrow, let it run and open the hood. See if you can shut the engine and jump out to see if you can tell where the noise is coming from. This is an interesting one. Are you sure no animals jump out when you get home? You may have something sleeping in there that jumps out when you get home. I know it sounds crazy, but who knows at this point.