DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM??????? HELP!

1994 Toyota Celica • 175,000 miles

OK. Here is a challenge for you.I have a 1994 Toyota Celica. It's issues are many, however, the one stumping my mechanic AND Toyota is the fact that t he computer has been replaced and the distributor THREE times has been replaced and the car still won't start on the first try for any long period of time. For about 24 hours it will start. After that it can take as long as 15 or 20 turns of the key. Then the engine turns on and the car runs. But then, the next day it MIGHT start on the first try, but then three hours later, it is back to the 5, 10, or 20 turns of the key for t he engine to turn over. It's frustrating all of us. The starting issue is inconsistent and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. The Toyota dealership has gone over all the electrical connections to the distributor and thought it was fixed, but today, its acting up again. PLEASE HELP!
Caymangirl63

Was the fuel pressure checked?
When it did not start, what was missing, ignition sparks or fuel?
Seems somebody is not checking the correct place or item.

HAVE YOU NARROWED IT DOWN TO

SPARK

OR

FUEL?

REMOVE PLUG WIRE AND SEE IF YOU HAVE SPARK.....BELOW IN MY LINK IS AN EZ WAY

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_electrical-tester--in-line-spark-plug-checker-dorman--conduct-tite_22144233-p?searchTerm=spark+tester

GOT SPARK????

FUEL TEST---SHOOT A 2-3 SECOND BURST OF "STARTER FLUID" INTO THE THROTTLE BODY....ATTEMPT TO START

DOES IT TRY/ SPIT/ SPUTTER/ NUTHIN' ?????

DO THE TESTS SEPARATELY WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA ACT UP (YOU KNOW HOW THAT'S GONNA GO!)

THIS MAY NARROW DOWN WHAT TO CHECK NEXT

OK. Guess I left out some stuff.I THINK the fuel pressure was checked, but i'm not sure. Will ask tomorrow. Also, a new igniter and computer was put in, but that didn't take care of the problem either. I can't believe Toyota can't solve this one. We are ALL frustrated! I know there HAS to be an answer to this. Why does it start the first time once, then take 15 tries the next time, then start on the first time later on. ARGGGH!

Caymangirl63
That is why you need to check what is missing when it could not start. It could be a relay that is working intermittently.

WITHOUT THE "REST OF THE STORY"

COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS A BAD IGNITION SWITCH

THEN THERE'S STUFF THAT'S LEFT OUT OF THE EQUATION. LIKE THE "WELLS FARGO NATIONAL BANK QUALITY SATELLITE CONTROLLED AFTERMARKET SECURITY SYSTEM" THAT WAS INSTALLED

KEEP US POSTED WITH THE MISSING BITS AND PIECES, AND HOW THINGS ARE PROGRESSING

. SORTA GIVE US A "REAL" ANSWER TO OUR QUESTIONS. WHEN YOU FIND OUT ANYWAY

GET YOURS FIXED 1ST, SO YOU'LL HAVE A GOOD TRADE IN

I already have a Jeep Wrangler, Medic! I've given all the info I have for now, since I am not the mechanic. Will speak to him tomorrow about all the answers given tonight.

Caymangirl63
ROGER

GLAD YOU HAVE SOMETHING "REAL" TO DRIVE---I WON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU AS MUCH

WE UNDERSTAND--YOU PROBABLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL THEY HAVE BEEN SLINGIN' AT YOU AT THE SHOP

WE JUST WANNA KNOW IF IT'S A LACK OF SPARK. OR A LACK OF FUEL THAT IS THE ISSUE

US KNOWING, AT LEAST THIS MUCH INFO, MIGHT GIVE US A DIRECTION TO FOLLOW

THEN WE MIGHT OFFER SUGGESTIONS ON STUFF THAT THEY MAY HAVE NOT HAVE CHECKED. WE HAVE ACCESS TO ONLINE SERVICE MANUALS. WE CAN SEND DIAGRAMS AND WIRING DIAGRAMS. ETC

OTHERWISE, WE WOULD BE WRITING YOU A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE WHOLE CAR. SOMEBODY ELSE HAS ALREADY DONE THAT. WE JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT PAGES TO GO TO!

POST A PIC OF YOUR WRANGLER. LIKE MY '46 WILLYS.I HAVE '77 CJ 5 TOO.

OK, guys, today we made the observation that the Celica starts beautifully when the weather is cold (cool like it was this morning, but when we have our "warmer" days in Texas, (like later this week) it starts acting up. Still considering putting back the old distributor back in because we're not sure it was ever really the problem. This is nuts. Still checking out other suggestions that you mentioned last time.

Caymangirl63
Medic,

I have a 1998 Jeep TJ. Chili pepper red, but I have also owned a 1990 Wrangler and a 1997. Attached is a picture from Go Topless Day in Galveston this past May.

Caymangirl63
GOOD PIC!.....I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT CJs SINCE I STARTED DRIVING ON THE ROAD IN '81....6 CJ 5s AND MY WILLYS

I'M NOT MUCH ON THESE CYBER CONTROLLED VEHICLE...I'M TRYIN' TO LEARN (WIFEY DRIVES NEWER STUFF...SO DO MY PALS)

KHLow2008 THROW IN YOUR OPINION......

I CAME ACROSS THESE....RECKON IT COULD BE ONE OF THESE????

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_air-charge-temperature-sensor-bwd-intermotor_18480936-p?searchTerm=sensors

HERE'S THE OTHER ONE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_map-sensor-bwd-intermotor_20470216-p?searchTerm=sensors

SEE MY 6th AND 7th ANSWER IN THIS POST...MAY HELP YOU WITH FUTURE STUFF TOO!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1977-jeep-cj7-front-wheel-wont-into-4-low

THE CODE IN THE ABOVE LINK ALSO SAVES WITH SMALLER AMOUNTS TOO, JUST NOT AS MUCH

Page 1 of 3