WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE WHEN THE AC COMPRESSOR GOES OUT WHILE DRIVING?

1994 Mercury Villager • 20,000 miles

I heard a grinding sound, the ac went war, small amount of smoke coming from the main belt area. Water pump? No leaks or overheating. Grinding loud 2-3 times a day, grinding soft all the time after 48 hours.
Slomom

Can you only hear the grinding with the ac on or all the time while the engine is running?

Loud grinding comes and goes when engine is on, soft grinding all the time with no AC on since Thursday. Seems to be near main belt area, wondering if maybe water pump but no overheat or leaks yet.

Slomom
The water pump can still make noise even though there is no leak or overheating. You will have to get a long screwdriver to listen to where the noise is coming from.

If it was the water pump, would it grind all the time with occasional loud grinding? My brother said his AC compressor clutch froze and locked up with grinding and sparks. My repair manual is not very clear on the location of the water pump, is it behind the big item holding the front of the belt?

Slomom
The water pump is in the center of the engine running off the inner belt. It should grind constantly pop the belt loose and see if the pulley is loose.

Ok, I'll do that.I did the log screwdriver test first at the AC compressor and it is very loud and I can feel it through the tool. Can I disconnect one or both of the electrical connections on top of it to see if that helps?

Slomom
The ac compressor sound only have on connector. Does the nosie change when turning the ac on?

I disconnected the 2 elec connections on the compressor then I cut the belt off. No more noise. No ac, but that's ok for for a very old minivan. Thanks for your help!

Slomom
Your welcome thats what were here for. Most of the ac compressors I have seen only have one if the noise is gone and your ok without ac then its a win win.