I NEED TO CONFIRM, THE BELT THAT DRIVES THE AC COMPRESSOR ON A CAN BE TAKEN OFF AND DOESN'T AFFECT ANYTHING ELSE.

1994 Mercury Villager • 20,000 miles

AC compressor failed, don't need ac just want to take off the belt and disconnect electric to compressor so it won't make noise. Does the belt drive anything else? My manual seems to point to "no".
Slomom

I am not sure what engine size you have - but according to the 3.0L engine there is just a belt for the AC compressor. The best way to verify is to look at the compressor belt and follow it route. I have also attached the pic of the 3.0L for you.

ImpalaSS
Thank you, yes it's a 3.0L and that looks like the layout.I think I should be able to just cut the belt off and be done with the noise from the dead ac compressor?

Slomom
Yes just verify it isn't driving anything else. I suppose you are not interested in getting the AC fixed then?

ImpalaSS
No with 200,000 miles, 2 leaky freeze plugs and a few other things I just want to get through another couple of months. It only has a value of about $500 so if the water pump goes it's going to the salvage yard. Thank so much for your help!

Slomom
Maybe I should loosen the tensioner and see how it goes after just pulling it off to the side instead of cutting it?

Slomom
Yes - it is probably better that way than to just cut it. Well, sounds like it has been a good vehicle though.

ImpalaSS