. NEED HELP WITH STALLING ISSUE DURING WARM-UP.MY WITH 120,000 MILES STALLS DURING WARM-UP. ABOUT 3 MINUTES AFTER STARTING COLD IT WILL STALL SEVERAL TIMES. IT RUNS OK ONCE COMPLETELY WARM (AFTER ABOUT 6 MINUTES OF RUN

1994 Mazda Protege • 120 miles

My 1994 Mazda Protege with 120,000 miles stalls during warm-up. About 3 minutes after starting cold it will
stall several times. It runs OK once completely warm (after about 6 minutes of run time). Asking for
help to solve this issue.

I checked the fuel pump for correct pressure as well as the pressure regulator, both are OK.
The Idle air control valve is OK as well as the coolent temperature sensor and Mass air flow meter.
I replaced the throttle body gasket and added gumout fuel injector cleaner to the tank and replaced the spark plugs,
air filter and ignition wires. The EVAP solenoid purge valve is OK. Is it possible that a valve clearance adjustment
would solve this?
I would appreciate any help!
Mazdaprotege94

Try cleaning the throttle plate on both sides with choke cleaner. Also the iac valve

I had the throttle plate off and cleaned it and the IAC valve was tested compared to a known good one. The car will stall even when given throttle at the narrow temperature range somewhere between 120 to 140 degrees. At operating temperature the car functions normally.

Mazdaprotege94
The only thing I can suggest without running a scan on it is to replace the coolant temp sensor even though it tested good. You want the sensor with the blue/white wire an dbrown/black wire. The other is for the fan. Sometimes the sensor will read good but aren't when they are in certain ranges.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will definately consider changing the coolent temperature sensor since I have limited experience testing these and they are relatively inexpensive. I will probably check the compression on all cylinders since this should uncover an issue with the valves. The check engine light did not come on so I don't think a scan will show anything. If you don't mind another reply I would appreciate your input on temperature sensor removal such as type of socket to use. Also do most of the compression gauges available fit the spark plug hole for the Japanese cars such as Mazda, Honda, Toyota Etc?

Mazdaprotege94
Yes most of the compression gauges would fit. If it were compression though, it would do it all the time. Normally if the coolant sensor has awire attached to it then you need a slotted socket otherwise a normal one that fits should work.