WHY DID THE SPEEDOMETER STOP?

1994 Lexus SC 400 • 136,875 miles

1994 Lexus SC400.A recent road trip sent it into a tailspin. Started out with quick oil change shop, got 320 miles away, battery goes dead, replaced that and then on the way home, had to excelerate quickly and looked down and saw speed on the speedometer, a mile later it is on zero, odomoter quit, and cruise stopped. O/d light keeps flashing. What could have happened? Blown fuse, do I reset computer? Wire loose from quick oil shop? Bad Speed Sensor? Bad speedometer, motor on back of it? Broken cable? Any one of those or am I listing everything I should be checking? It is just so hot and soupy out, and I am not supposed to be outside long, the obvious is a loose wire caused by the quick oil place, or a misplaced or blown fuse to me, what do any of you think? Could that quick exceleration have done it?
Shadowboxer50

Output speed sensor may be bad. You need a shop with a scan tool, that can monitor the actual signal to verify failure.

I read where there is more than one speed sensor. I think it said there are two on the driver's side, and they are about $83 and some change each.

Shadowboxer50
Only 1 sensor for the speedometer. The other 2 are input and output speed sensors that have nothing to do with the speedo

I give up, thieves broke into the mechanic's shop, stole another mechanics tools among them, the cord to check the OBD 1 cables. Jump wire doesn't work because I think the check engine light may be burned out. I get several answers as to the problem. One person says it is speed sensor in the transmission, another says it is in the tires having to do with the ABS system. We do not have a Lexus dealer in Tallahassee, the nearest is 3 hours away in Jacksonville. I know it is a Lexus, but my wife picked it out, I love the organization and scale as to how it is designed, but I swear, I hate the car, it is causing me to lose my mind. Today, it started that idleing high and no A/c again, and then that O/D light stopped flashing. We burned up for miles in traffic and then, it went to working again and that O/D light went to flashing, and at no time did that speedometer work. Most of the mechanics in Tallahassee are just here to take the college Kid's money. I have begged my wife to tell me, Are you going to KEEP the car? If so, I will order a service manaul, the damn meter, and do the work. Today she says she may trade it. I wished she would give the piece of crap up, but ppl keep saying, "Oh you have Lexus" I am thinking "Big Deal, you want it?" I want my Honda back. I have the internet link to jumping out the wires at the terminals under the dash and the hood as well. Is there a way to hook up a test light instead of using lights on the dash to check diagnosic codes?

Shadowboxer50