HAD A USED REBUILT TRANSMISSION PUT IN MY CAR RECENTLY BOUNCING SPEEDOMETER AND POOR GAS MILEAGE

1993 Lexus SC 400 • 200,000 miles

Speedometer bounces and poor gas mileage ( about 13 mpg in the city) on 1993 Lexus sc400, speedometer is off 10 miles per hour in low speeds and higher speeds around 5 mph off are the two related? Could it be the speed sensor on the tranny? The car seems to run normal otherwise I do smell a little gas when the door is open
Thanks in advance

1993lexussc400

Yes the Vehicle Speed Sensor should be checked. It could have some affect on MPG as engine load demand changes.
The best thing to do is to got to Advance Atuo or Auto Zone and have them pull the trouble codes. They do it for free and a code should come up for the VSS.

Thanks for the advice. Currently I don't see the cel on could I still have codes?

1993lexussc400
Also If I try to use the cruise the car will rev up and down

1993lexussc400
If it is getting a bad or non-linear signal from the VSS, the ECU will send the same signal, or it may just be a PCU involved as the cruise control essentially feeds straight off the VSS without much in between, that is erratic to the cruise control module which will try to keep the vehicles speed at the same erratic speed as the signal it gets. It basically mimicks whatever it is set at and trys to keep it at that speed but if can never tell what the speed is or think s it is at that speed because that speed was set at some unstable signal it will jump around with the speedometer. There are only a few feeds that work with the crusie control and the VSS signal is basically calling the shots to the servo that adjusts the throttle and it gets more feedback than it gets input. So, it is not surprising that your cruise control is not working. I think getting the VSS replaced, check the codes first, will get the cruise control working properly.