SHAKS

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 160,000 miles

My jeep 1994 grand cherokee limited I purchased without a front driveline. I put one in and jeep started shaking. Ive put in brand new cv joints and still shakes. Then took driveline out, shaking went away. Please help me figure out what it is. This is my first jeep ive owned, dont have a clue whats wrong with it
Bean152

Back in the old days we use clamps to balance a driveshaft could be a balance issue or improperly installed-

Get the new shaft checked for balance, if that is ok, make sure that both flanges ate tight on the diff and trans fer out put, start here.

Mhpautos
Try running it with all four tires off the ground. If it still vibrates, it still has to be drive shaft balance. If it's smooth, put four new tires on it.

Jeeps and Chevy Astro 4wd vehicles use full-time transfer cases that run both drive shafts at the same speed all the time. There is a distinction between 4wd and AWD. All-wheel-drive vehicles like the Caravan and Aerostar use a viscous coupling in the middle of one of the drive shafts that allows them to turn at slightly different speeds as in cornering or using slightly different size tires. With the full-time transfer cases, it is imperative that you use four identical size tires. That means same brand, same size, same model, and purchased at the same time. You are not supposed to even buy two new tires this week and another two a week later because there's a chance they were assembled by a different person, from a different mold, or even a different compound of rubber.

This information was in an article in a tire dealer magazine. It was about a lawsuit against the tire retailer for only selling two tires to an Astro 4wd owner. He tore up the transfer case within 800 miles from the forces put on it by the two drive shafts turning at different speeds.

Is the shakin' at speed, or is it immediate?

If it's immediate, Maybe someone "slung in" a front axle, with a different gear ratio. Hence, it'll drive fine, till someone installs a driveshaft and the differentials start binding against each other.(Look for tags on the diff housing, ratio may be stamped on 'em)

Please explain "more better" when and how this occurs, turning? Etc. This might even be a positive traction issue

The Medic