FRONT WHEEL BEARING COMPATABILITY?

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 146,000 miles

Will a 4wd front wheel bearing work in my 96 2wd grand cherokee?
Kg4lzc

There's no distinction when looking up these applications. The same parts are listed for 2wd, 4wd, and awd. My question is what holds the assembly together when it's used in the 2wd application. The bearing must be held together tightly by the axle shaft. That can be a short shaft connected to a universal joint or it can be part of the outer cv joint housing. The axle nut has a very high and specific torque that must be adhered to to prevent it from becoming noisy. That will be at least 180 foot pounds.

I guess to be safe I wouldn't order a new assembly until I removed enough parts to see if the old bearing looks the same as pictures of the new one. This assembly is held on with three bolts. If you look from underneath, you should be able to see one or two bolt heads on the back side of the spindle.

Yeah, there's no difference in the compatibility. I found the answer and have ordered the parts. Thanks a lot.

Kg4lzc