FROM HELL!!!!

1994 Jeep Cherokee • 90,000 miles

Hey guys thank u for your response, but it was not the theft system. After reading ur commet I tried it and still got nothing, so I started moving the distributor around and got it to run but not good at a idle it runs good at 1000 to 1500rpm.I know the distributor is controled by sensors but could I possibly have it in the wrong place?With the timing set were should the rotor be pointing when the timing marks are right?And the distributor has a pick-up coil in it could that be the problem? Note that it starts rough, runs smooth at 1000 to 1500rpm and slowly dies once u let off the gas.I already did a fuel pressure test and its running at 42 to 45 psi. Plsssss help, jeremy
Jeremy76

Ok, with the number 1 cylinder at top dead center, the rotor should be pointing at number 1 in the cap. If you had to move the distributor to make it run, you may have a bad timing chain. Have it checked to confirm.

Thanks for ur response!But the timing chain is new and has very little play in chain. It wont start when the distributor is on the num 1 plug, it only starts when its at or around num 4.I have the timing marks at 6 and 12

Jeremy76
Did you do a compression test? It will verify that you have the chain set right.

Hey roy! Ya I did a compression test just to make sure and its at the tdc, and it is but the distributor was not pointing at num 1 so I moved it to num 1 and didnt get any thing. Note when I got this jeep the motor was rebuildt and the people who did it did not mark the distributor upon removel, the distributor body has a 1 position setting but I know the rotor has a differnt spot which should be num 1 spark but it wont run in that spot, could the pick-up be bad?

Jeremy76
You could be on valve over lap or 180 degrees off. Rotate the motor one more revolution and re check.

Hey roy! Ok that could be the problem, I have not tried that! But is it possible I have it right but the pick up coil isnt working or would that trigger the check engine lite?

Jeremy76
Ok so what ur sayin is that the crank moves 2 revolutions and the cam only does 1 revolution, which would put the valve timing off 180?

Jeremy76
Thats correct, and the pick up will not trigger a code in obd 1 systems.

Ok I do not have a check engine lite on so it is possible it could be the coil pick-up? Thanks u roy for ur help it defiantly was a big help! Any other possible suggestion before I go?

Jeremy76
Is there a way to test the pick-up coil?

Jeremy76