TRANSMISSION - TROUBLE MOVING OFF FROM STANDING START

1994 Ford Falcon

I have a 1994 ED Falcon, Automatic, 6 cyl 4.0L.
When I start up the car and put it in D, it does not engage gear - car revs and makes a nice whirring sound and goes almost nowhere before thumping into gear and away I go. Once going, it behaves - shifts ok and smooth etc. However, if I for example stop at an intersection, the car doesn't want to get going again - same problem of not engage a gear I think. If I drive it like a manual, it does select the gears and behave, although not from standing/neutral start. I can mostly keep it going by downshifting through 3 2 1 as I slow down to stop, then leave it in 1 while waiting to take off.
The transmission bands have been adjusted and seem to be in manufacturer spec, but doing this made no difference to the cars behavior. Can you tell me what may be causing the problem, or where I should be looking to find the problem and fix it? Thanks.
Hooper

Does shifting into 1 from a standing start works? How about starting with 2? Seems like the 1st clutch is slipping, most probably due to wear in the hydraulic system. Does reverse work correctly?

Standing start from 1 gives the same problem but not quite as bad. Standing start from 2 doesn't work. It reverses correctly.

If it is the 1st clutch, what is involved in fixing that? Could I do it myself, or is it really a mechanic job?

Hooper
It could be any of the low clutches and not a DIY job. You need a transmission specialist to have a look at it.