DODGE SPIRIT GAS PROBLEM

1994 Dodge Spirit • 143,000 miles

94 dodge spirit 3.0, ive replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap n rotor, o2 sensor and removed previous owners cold air intake and put it entirely back to stock. It idles perfect and if your really light on the fuel peddal its fine. Its when you wanna get somewhere and give it some gas, it chugs and misfires and shifts all funny. Ive also used a 4 gauge wire to ground the block to the body and I hollowed my converter. Only engine code I get is a 33 for something to do with th a/c. Any ideas? The top of the fuel tank is rusted out and I know theres water in my gas. When I turn left it loses all power and just about shuts off, then all of the sudden its got a ton of power and takes right off. I have no idea what it could be. Please help me.

Dustinwoodworth

[quote]The top of the fuel tank is rusted out and I know theres water in my gas. [/Quote]

And you're asking us why it runs bad?

Wrenchtech
Well ive got the water out of the tank and put fresh gas in. It. Took it for a ride and no change. Its misfires only on a load. In other words its only when im trying to accelerate quickly when im heavy on the pedal. Do you think im due for a timing belt and tensioner swap?

Dustinwoodworth
What's the fuel pressure when this happens?

Wrenchtech
Normal.

Dustinwoodworth
I asked what the pressure reading was?

Wrenchtech
Well I thought that is was a fuel problem so I took it to a shop and asked to check the fuel pressure. I have like no money so thats all they did. They said it was riht where it needed to be. It was the dodge dealer here in town. I trust they would be right being a dealer and all.

Dustinwoodworth
Am also told that its supposed to have the timing belt replaced anywhere from 60-80k miles. I know it hasnt been changed and im at about 144k now

Dustinwoodworth
Well thanks for not responding to me! Dont worry. I got it figured out without your help. It was a stretched timing belt. I know to. Not. Ask you guys again. Thanks a ton!

Dustinwoodworth
Timing belts don't stretch.

Wrenchtech
Really? My old one. Was. About 1/4" longer and STRETCHED! Ive seen it before.

Dustinwoodworth
Page 1 of 2