5 SPD, TRANNY LEAK

1993 Saturn SL2 • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 125,000 miles

Recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and master and slave cylinder assembly on my saturn, and a couple weeks later now I notice that it leaks a little bit of tranny fluid after I have driven it. It looks like it could be coming from the point where the bell housing attaches to the engine block but have not taken a look with the car raised in the air yet. Does anyone know what the most common thing would be to look at replacing first?
Blackboy454

If there is transmission fluid coming out of the bell housing then most likely its leaking from the quill bearing seal. That is in that sleeve that the throw out bearing slides on. Where the input shaft comes out of in the bell housing.

Ok louie, looks like my bro and I have some more work to do. Its still drivable for now so ill use it for short trips, fix my saab then finish my saturn.

Blackboy454
If it is that quill bearing it's not just a pop in seal you have to remove the transmission bell housing and press it in and press it out.

Speciality tools required I am guessing? Possibly need to take this one to a shop then.

Blackboy454
To save some money on labor I would do the labor yourself just bring the transmission shop your bell housing to replace it.

Thats what I was thinking. We already had the tranny out once. Y pay someone to do something we have already done. Not to mention we pulled the engine on my brothers 94 sc2 twice. Although this time it will be my engine we are pulling being as how it is my understanding that in order to remove the transmission you have to remove the engine and transmission out of the car as 1 unit.

Blackboy454
If I replace the engine with a 5 speed and it's a S model like yours I will pull it all as a one because if you leave the transmission in it's hard to line the clutch back up with the transmission when putting the engine back in. To just remove the transmission you support the engine and remove the sub frame and the transmission.

We have pulled engine on saturns before, we just need to find a cherry picker to lift the engine and tranny out. And the up side about removing the engine I will have the space to do some other work on the engine when it is out of the car, fuel filter, oil change, plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, any suggestions? Anything I should inspect for wear when the engine is out of the car?

Blackboy454
You can replace the plugs wires valve cover gasket fuel filter and change the oil pretty easy with the engine in.I cant think of anything to check while the engine is out.I would much rather remove drop the sub frame and then the transmission but if you want to do all the work of taking out the transmission and engine then go for it.

How hard is it to drop the subframe? And do you need a lift to do so? All we have is floor jacks and a few jack stands. If it is possible to do this with the engine in I wud prefer it that way but I am not the experienced one with the mechanical workings of a car, hence the reason my brother has been helping me out with pretty much everything ive done to the car. Things I can do on a car by myself is pretty limited, plugs and wires, oil change, battery replacement. And maybe if I try hard enough general brake maintanence. But thats about it. Im a computer guy not car guy but to get my car going im not afraid to get my hands dirty and get it done.

Blackboy454