CLEARING DTCS

1993 Pontiac Sunbird • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 231,000 miles

I tried to clear dtcs in my 1993 pontiac sunbird by removing the ecm fuse it was out overnight and the codes are still there please help
Bmxwayne

That probably means that they are hard codes and simply resetting immediately. You have to resolve/repair the code issues and not simply try to clear them.

Wrenchtech
They were still there after clearing and before the car had been started again

Bmxwayne
Yes, many codes can set immediately when the key is turned on.

Wrenchtech
Ok all seven of the codes I am getting according to my chilton manual are supposed to turn the mil light on but it is not does this mean my ecm is going out or what

Bmxwayne
You never said you were getting that many codes. That does tend to point to a bad ECM but it should still be analyzed further.

Wrenchtech
What can I do to check things out myself I do have a scantool and also a digital multimeter 10megaohms

Bmxwayne
You're going to have to manually check out each one of those codes and determine if they are false codes or not and then verify all the power and ground supplies to the ECM.

Wrenchtech
Ok so my multimeter and my chilton manual just became my best friends

Bmxwayne
How common is it for an ecm to go bad

Bmxwayne
Ok I replaced the ecm but the codes are still there are they actually stored in the prom chip

Bmxwayne
Page 1 of 2