FORD RANGER ENGINE PROBLEM

1993 Ford Ranger • 180,000 miles

Fuel pump runs continuously
Changed fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator
Hd74sg

What do you mean, while the engine is running or after the engine is shut off?

Wrenchtech
When I first turn the ignition switch on, fuel pump used to run 3 to 5 seconds then shut off till cranked, runs continuously now, act like maybe too much fuel or not enough when turning over but not starting.

Hd74sg
It is supposed to only run 2 seconds if the engine isn't cranked but that is a safety feature only and has no effect on engine performance.

Wrenchtech
Am thinking about changing throttle air bypass valve next, unable to scan for codes on this '93 Ranger. Changed fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump came on then off when ignition turned to on, cranked up fine, revved up fine, I drove about 2 miles and check engine light came back on, ran poorly when accelerator pressed past half way down, came back home, turned off, turned key to on and fuel pump running continuously again?

Hd74sg
You can continue to throw parts at it until you are broke and probably still won't have it fixed. You need to do some testing starting with pulling the codes and reading the fuel pressure.

Wrenchtech
I agree with you, just do not know how to pull codes. Fuel pressure at KOEO should be? From what I read I could count blinking check engine light and cross reference codes, but the check engine light will start to blink after fuel pump stops after initial key on, my fuel pump stays running though so I am perplexed on how to read codes.

Hd74sg