FORD EXPLORER STARTER PROBLEM

1993 Ford Explorer • 66,000 miles

It wont start when I turn the ignition. It clicks like its a dead battery but I took the battery in to get it checked and its fine. Plus when it first started doing this I had been driving all day and I was at the store. So I asked a person for a jump and it still didn't start. When I went to the auto store and explained the problem I was having to them they suggested that it may be the starter. Now I have a leak coming out to the power steering pump, and its dripping directly onto the starter and all the connections on the starter. They are all tightly connected to the starter. But could this be the problem. Also the click I hear when I try to start it, isn't coming from the starter. Its coming from the side wall right next to the battery. There is a fuse box and the starter solenoid, and this is where the clicking noise is coming from both the fuse box and solenoid. Please help answer the question I feel its something stupid and simple. But beyond my knowledge.

There's three things that commonly happen with Ford starter systems. First check the connections on that starter relay near the battery. The large copper nuts often work loose. Next, measure the voltage on the large cable right at the starter while a helper turns the ignition switch to "crank". If it goes real low, suspect corroded strands of wire under the insulation where you can't see it, right at that end. Third, oil or power steering fluid that gets inside the starter will deteriorate the brushes and make them crumble. If that is the case, the voltage on the large cable will still be there but the motor won't spin.