ENGINE

1993 Dodge Ram • 250,000 miles

Runs fine when its cold after it gets warm it runs irregular. Replaced coil pack, Dist. Cap, button, new fuel filter, egr valve. Was thinking of replacing ecm. I have heard the ignition module is part of the ecm. Call it a hesitation, stall, cough. Im thinking spark, when driving. Strongly
Camdenmaziarz

Have you checked the basics, fuel pressure, check for vacuum leaks, plugs?

I dont see how it would be a vacuum leak if it only happens when it gets warm. I have a new fuel pump in it. I could see it being spark plug wires because I know that resistance changes after the conductor get warm and have thought about changing them. I have also heard online that my vehicle has problems with inducting wires which cause misfiring but I cant find anywhere that cant read the codes. Thought about using the rerouting method I found online. I have heard that the ignition module is part of the ecm and that might be a good culprit since solid state components act up when warm.

Camdenmaziarz
That is correct, the ignition module is part of the ECM. And yes, that could be an issue. If you don't mind my asking, what type of rerouting process have you found on the net?

The link is dodgeram. Info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8. Htm
I tried the reroute today but it didnt help. What would I need to change out the ecm. Just the ecm? Slap it in and Im good to go? Does it need any programming tinkering? Alternator acting up today. Probably going to change it tomorrow if weather permits. Im just wondering if there is anything im over looking. Been checking all of the sensors since I think its an electrical problem but they all seem to be working even though im doing very basic testing. This thing is a throttle body and Im still getting used to learning about the carbs. Vacuum lines look okay.

Camdenmaziarz
Is there any way to check ignition module even though it is part of the ecm?

Camdenmaziarz
Okay, now I know what you meant by rerouting. To be honest, since everything checks out okay, you are most likely right. As far as replacing the ECM, just make sure to have the battery disconnected and DON'T reconnect it until the new one is installed and connected.

Sorry it took me a while to get a computer and put it in but that didnt help either.

Camdenmaziarz
Are you sure the fuel pressure is within the manufacturer's specs?

Well I have seemed to have gotten somewhere. After I replaced the computer and the problem was still there. I went and changed the tps, cmp, and the ckp and the problem went away. But to be sure of what the problem was I put the old sensors back on and the problem has, as of yet, not returned. Im not sure if maybe the computer took some time to adjust it's self or if the old ckp may have started to work but the problem never has came back ever since the last thing I tried which was ckp I will have to drive it more to be sure which I dont drive the vehicle all the time.

Camdenmaziarz