CHEVROLET VAN STARTER PROBLEM

1993 Chevrolet Van • 150,000 miles

Ok here's the problem ive been having first I have a 1993 chevy g20 van few months ago I tried starting it all I could hear is a click from the starter so I bought new starter and replaced it then heard the same click so I thought maybe it was the battery so I replaced that too but same click no start, no crank so I was thinking something in the cables between the starter and the battery but I could not see any broken or cut wires could there be a cut or broken wire in the cable? What about a fusable link? Also my van has an old alarm system that the way it is wired in order to sart my van I have to turn the key hit the butten on the remote that enagages the alarm an activates the locks then I can turn the key all the way then it starts so maybe the alarm is keeping it from starting not sure. Ideas?

Johnvernonhill

Check for voltage to the little wire on the starter motor when it start position.

Start there

I did a battery alternator an starter bench test they checked put good also used a voltameter drop test everything looks good but there is a live circuit somewhere that is damning my battery how can I test my battery an starter cables to see if there is a open circuit somewhere draining my power? Also, what about my alarm you think it could be causing an issue where the engine can't crank over?

Johnvernonhill
Once again, lets start with seeing if there is power going to the solenoid in the start position.

Ok well I had my brother in law test the starter with the voltameter while I turned the key an tried to crank it he says it's out putting 10 volts an I just hear a click like the starter is trying to kick out not sure what the next step is. Ideas?

Johnvernonhill
Voltage is low but should engage the starter solenoid.

Is the battery 10 volts too when trying to crank? You should have 12 volts there

Its a new battery I put it in a fews days ago so it shouldnt be a power issue on the battery but I can always double check I think its the cabling in between some live curcuit thoughts?

Johnvernonhill
Hey still having the same problem just hearing a click in the starter I do I find the live circuit that seem to be draining my power what if I could disable the alarm? I'm new at this so how do you test cables to determine if there is enough power drawing from them to the components

Johnvernonhill