ASCD DOES NOT SET WHEN PRESSED.

1992 Nissan Maxima • 295,000 miles

1992 Nissan Maxima 300se Aut. Ascd does not work. When SET button is pressed green light comes on but will not hold and light goes of immediately. I have checked all relays and swapped them out. I have also swapped out the control box. I have performed all the checks as shown in the manual and everything is OK. I am at wits end and need some advice Thanks.
Bredie

ASCD? You mean the cruise control?
Have you checked the brake switch?

Yes I have checked all switches and all relays and control box.

Bredie
Did you actually test the brake switch and its circuits? How about the brake switch adjustment?

Have you checked for trouble codes with the gear shift indicators and are they showing correctly in dash?

I have tested the cancel switch on the brake pedal for operational functionality with circuit tester.

I do not know about 'Trouble codes with the gear shift indicators' You will have to tel me more about this.

Bredie
If the transmission D indicator light does not function correctly, the cruise would not work as well.

I have checked. The only D light I have is on the selector indicator next to the shift lever and is working fine.

Bredie
These are the diagnostic procedures and I believe you have to go through them once again to see where you missed out.

1. Turn ignition on. Turn cruise control main switch to ON position. If indicator light comes on, go to step 2). If indicator light does not come on, check indicator bulb and main switch. If these components are okay, perform CRUISE CONTROL RELAY test under TESTING.

2. Perform POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT test under TESTING. If power supply
circuit is okay, perform CUT-OFF CIRCUIT test under TESTING.

3. If cut-off circuit is NOT okay, check brake cancel switch, clutch switch (M/T), inhibitor relay (A/T) and inhibitor switch (A/T). If cut-off circuit is okay, perform SET/COAST SWITCH CIRCUIT test under TESTING.

4. If SET/COAST switch circuit is okay, perform SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT
test under TESTING. If speed sensor circuit is okay, perform ACTUATOR test under TESTING. If actuator is okay, replace cruise control module.

Can you please tell me where I find 'Testing' procedures as advised in latest answer by KHLow2008. Thanks.

Bredie
Which are the ones you need? There are many and it covers 6 pages.