'99 P1320

Nissan Maxima

1999 nissan maxima 49,000 miles V-6
I had a check engine light come on with code P1320 random intermittent misfire. Occasionally the car would run really rough for 10-20 seconds but otherwise seem to run normal. I did some research and found that this year model maxima is notorious for the coils going bad, nissan even issued a technical bulletin about it. The bulletin is not that helpful inspect harness / replace all coils. Well I replaced all 6 coils and sparkplugs, the car runs better it doesn't run rough but the check engine light continues to come on with the same code. I also inspected the harness per tech bulletin and could not find a broken wire, from what I can tell there is only 7 wires to inspect, one for ecm ground and six others - one for each cylinder but if a wire was broken wouldn't I get a more specific code such as misfire cylinder #4 etc.
I'm at the end of my rope on this one and need someone that's been down this road to help me out.
I don't want to keep throwing parts at it and i'm afraid if I take it to a shop that's all they'll do too running up a huge repair bill. I've already spent close to $500. I'll gladly make a donation to the cause if the info I get resolves my problem
DManning

P0300 is random misfire.P1320 is not the code for random misfire. Try again

Kin chan
Ok, primary ignition fault but the car had a misfire problem. The research I found led me to NTB98-008B
which addresses the harness and coils. I replaced the coils and it runs better but still has code P1320
I checked the harness and couldn't find a problem.
There are no other codes. What would you suggest from here?

DManning
Got a scope?
Or a scanner equivalent to nissan consult2 capability?
Is about 14 pages of road map to what computer think there's a lost of ign. Signal. Ur only 2 choice is : a.) A real prof fix it.
B.) Roll ur dices & keep throwing parts @ it.

By the way. Was the coils from nissan that u've replaced?

Kin chan
No, I don't have a scope
I got the coils from Advance auto
front bank have " nissan" on them
rear bank doesn't

DManning
Random Misfire PO300

Always use OEM parts mixing it is a bad idea. Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.

Good LUck

Well. At least a car like urs came to a shop add more questions than answer.1st. How to verify the coil pack from advance auto work as good as orignial manufacture. Of course u need a scope or a factory scan tool to swap coil and chk out either waveform or misfire #s. Maybe the original problem is coil pack. What if the aftermarket is no good.I knew for a fact it took us 24 new injectors from Napa to get 6 right on a 300ZX. Are u sure as 100% that original manufacture parts and aftermarket makes no differences?

Kin chan