ES300 SHIFTING ISSUE

1992 Lexus ES 300 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 198,000 miles

Friday, while going camping for the 4th, I proceeded up a hill, had my car downshift out of overdrive (pulls about 3200 at 60mph). I proceeded up the hill maintaining a constant speed when the car started to slow down like it was losing power and then it upshifted into overdrive. I kicked down on the gas pedal and it downshifted harshly out of overdrive again. Never had a problem with the transmission and we continued driving all weekend (200miles) to camp and around. Coming back up the hill from the other side, I turned the OD off button on to see if that would keep it from upshifting. I was pulling the hill, about 60mph again and after a couple miles (very long hill), it felt like it was losing power and then upshifted again. I kept pushing the OD off button but it wouldn't shift out of OD until I hammered the pedal again and it shifted pretty harshly. I'm thinking maybe a shift selenoid, is there anything else that may cause this. Thanks
Sledboy2k

I would first have a transmission scan done, this will show up any solenoid issue and may spread some light on what is going on, do this and report any codes extracted.

Mhpautos
Transmission scan showed nothing. Dropped the fluid, it looked ok

Sledboy2k
You will have to get a trans shop to do a line pressure test and checxk the shift pressures as well.

Mhpautos