DO I CHANGE TRANSMISSION FLUID?

1995 Lexus ES 300 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 125,000 miles

1995 Lexus ES300 with 125K miles. No record of transmission fluid/filter change, current fluid NOT bright red and I have been told changing it can cause serious problems, what should I do?
Chabd56

Here is the old saying. If you never changed your trans fluid and it is really dirty, new fluid (with their detergent) will clean the residue from the clutch plates and cause it to slip.

To be honest, I have heard it many times, but in 30 years of working on cars (including transmissions), I have never seen it happen.

If the fluid is discolored and not bright red, I would recommend having it done.

Thanks. Have had lots of conflicting advice and I am somewhat afraid to do anything.

Chabd56
How dirty is the trans fluid? Can you see through it at all? Does it smell burnt? I have to be honest, when the trans gets to the point that servicing it could cause the trans to slip, it is close to that point regardless. What I'm saying is if it is that bad, chances are it will start having issues soon. Unless it it is black and burnt, I would try to service it. If the clutches are still good, at least you will help save thrust washers, bearings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

It is not black by any means. More of a reddish-orange color and it does not smell burnt.

Chabd56
Service it. That sounds line nothing more than it is due (not overdue).

OK. Going to do just that! Thanks!

Chabd56
Glad to help. If you have other questions, let us know. Please make sure to have the work done by someone that knows what he is doing.

Will do. Filter and fluid change is all I will have done, thanks again Joe!

Chabd56