CADILLAC DEVILLE RIM PROBLEM

1992 Cadillac Deville • 135,000 miles

Hi I just changed my right inner and outer tie rod. I put the boot back on and I tried to put the clamp on the inner tie rod boot. I can't get the clamp to fasten. I am having pain shooting up in my neck which makes it worse to do. Can I just go out and buy a clamp that you tighten down with a flat head screw driver. Thanks.
Sean03

Yup. If you're trying to reuse the old clamp that had a crimp in it, you have to pull that crimp open first, typically with a pliers while holding the strap in a vice. Then you need the crimping tool to reinstall it. You can also use a side cutter, (wire cutter), to crimp it but I usually find access is too limited for that. Chrysler has some straps that you wind around once or twice, then tug them tight and bend the end over. Those are long enough to go around the large end of a cv joint twice. In a pinch you can even use a nylon tie strap. Hose clamps will work too. There isn't much pressure on that boot.