CADILLAC DEVILLE REBUILD PROBLEM

1992 Cadillac Deville • 135,000 miles

Hi I was wondering if their is a way to rebuild an inner tie rod. I bought new inner tie rods and outer. But with the old inner tie rod I was wondering if their is a way to rebuild them. Thanks.
Sean03

No you cant you need a great big machine, plus old inner tie rods make good freeze plug tools

Randico
Nope. There were some designs on import cars in the '70s or '80s that had an adjustable inner bushing. You had to unscrew it from the rack, then go inside and turn the round plate with a 1/4" ratchet and extension. Then you used a fish scale to measure the force needed to move the threaded end.

Those days are gone. When that part gets sloppy, it's because the nylon insert has worn away. Once that occurs, the hammering action from hitting bumps in the road pound on the metal housing and deform it. As the wear gets worse, additional wear occurs even faster.

New tie rod ends are cheap so there's no need to try to rebuild one.

Ok thanks. I paid for the two inner and two outer tie rods. I spent like 64.00 total so I guess I got a good deal.

Sean03