I AM HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1991 Toyota Pickup

Im having a similar problem with a 1991 22re 2wd pickup just put a starter pressure plate though out clutch flywheel, took it out for a test ride and it ran great but heard a little chatter turned out to be the water pump replaced it and a fan belt, fired it up ran almost a minute the check engine light came on and it just slowly lost power and died but started right back up and did the same thing. When I moved things to change water pump I unscrewed the plug for what I'm thinking was the mass air flow sensor, didn't damage anything when I realized that wasn't the way, I screwed it back down removed the clip and pulled the plug. And I'm thinking thats where I might have a problem. So this morn I unscrewed it again and seal it to make it air tight again started it up and the light stayed on but it ran for a good 3 or 4 minutes and slowly died off. Its got me stumped. And I can't get it to give up any codes. I did notice I've got an excessive amount water coming from my tail pipe. Anyone have any ideas? Stuck in Ga. Headed too Ar.
DII

Get the code read so you know what is screwed up and where to go instead of just hit an dmisss.