5 SPD. MAN. TRANS.

1991 Ford Ranger • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 497,896 miles

On a 1991 ford ranger 2.3L 5 speed Man. Tran. I have a gear oil leak coming from the top of the trans. Is there only a cover gasket on top or is there a seal also?
Ronson

Believe seal is silicone on plate see diagram

Docfixit
This diagram does not show it. I removed the shift at tower and found a circular plate with 3 torqx screws. Removed that and found a paper gasket to the housing with a rubber built in seal on cover that goes around the shaft. The seal is worn and cracked letting oil pass.

Ronson
Any luck finding new seal?

Docfixit
No havent looked yet.I cut a piece of rubber/cork type gasket material and put below it and cut a few slices so the shifter can move into gear and hopefully this will slow my leak untill I locate one. It definitely looks like a dealer item. If not I may have to go to the wreckin yard.

Ronson
Found a complete gasket and shift pin kit that tightens up the shifter play buy still have a leak somewhere up top. Drips onto cat converter when driving.

Ronson
Did kit have gasket for top cover?

Docfixit
Yes the circular shift tower plate with the built in seal also had a adhered gasket on the bottom mating surface. I still have a leak and is getting worse.

Ronson
Any idea where to get an online image of this trans. To get an idea of where else the leak may be coming from?

Ronson
Right behind the shift tower there are three rubber plugs that leak oil. Remove them and install three 5/8" expansion plugs and it will stop your trans. Leak. Took me a while to locate this leak.

Ronson