TRANSMISSION WEIRDNESS:-(

1990 Toyota 4Runner • 36,502 miles

Hi I have a 1990 2wd v6 4runner. Last night on the freeway with no warning sounds jerking smells or anything the rpms went up and I had no gear. I got it over to the sholder and checked the atf and it was fine not hot no burnt or burning smell level perfect. I nothces in to gear with the gear selector nicely but its not engaging at all making any noise or anything. No external leaks and I dont hear any internal disturbance. Its so odd cause it has been rock solid and never slipped jerked clunked or anything. Please help. Im a single parent and have no way to take it to a shop. If I knew what it was I can do it myself. Good at fixing not diagnosing: -) Thank you very much!
Pjb222

Sounds like the torque converter has failed. The trans will have to be removed and inspected for the failure.

Wouldnt I have had some kind of over heating or burned fluid with metal in it or heard something at all?

Pjb222
No, not necessarily.

So the aamco is telling me its the transmisson pump. Does this make sense to you? Everything I have read and heard is both converters and pumps would make whinning noises and indications of near failure. Im confused. This would make sense but other then gears not engaging none of the other symtoms at all are ther. And if it is the pump Do I have to rebuild hte trans at 2200 bucks or can I just replace the pump?

Pjb222