FORD PROBE GAS PROBLEM

1990 Ford Probe • 149,000 miles

The car runs good but it will bog down when driving it, we have compression on all the clyniders. New plugs and everything. Thinking it could be the tps, but unsure if that would be causing it to do that. Any advice would be great thanks

Check the fresh air tube for cracks or leaks. Any air that sneaks in that isn't measured by the mass air flow sensor won't get any fuel to go with it.

"new plugs and everything". I don't have a clue what "everything" is.

The guy I got it from put about 3 to 5 gallons of kerosene in it I was thinking I might need to. Change the fuel pump.

Laceesimmons
Kerosene has more lubricating properties the gas so it shouldn't hurt the pump. You may need to drain most of the fuel and put fresh gas in.

The tank was empty when we got it put 5 gallons of new gas it in and still does. It.

Laceesimmons
Put in distributor and rotor in it, it got better but still molding power.

Laceesimmons
If it had kerosene in it, the fuel rail and lines may still have some in them and it could take a few miles to clear it out.

How did we get from a fuel problem to the distributor?

How long is a few miles? I was just letting you know what I replaced on the car, is the reason I mentioned the distributor

Laceesimmons
Got it. I thought the distributor was related to the current problem. You may have a second problem if the distributor isn't timed right. That can be hard to do when you also have a second problem.

The fuel line still has kerosene in it. On older cars there was a return line to the gas tank and fuel constantly flowed in a loop to the engine and back to the tank, with just a little being tapped off to go into the engine. With those systems fresh gas would reach the injectors within less than a minute. Most newer cars are going to "returnless" systems with the pressure regulator inside the gas tank and no second line from the engine to the tank. On those you have to run all the gas out of the line to get rid of the kerosene. The line holds enough gas to go perhaps a mile or two at most, and by that time fresh gas will be up to the injectors.

Have done. That. The distributor is timed correctly since it was installed by a mechanic but still. Cant figure out what else is going on.

Laceesimmons
Don't overlook the fresh air tube in my first reply. It's common for it to crack and let in air that doesn't get measured by the mass air flow sensor, then the engine will starve for fuel. The crack can open up when the engine rocks during acceleration. Check for vacuum leaks too.