SHUTDOWN

1990 Chevrolet Corsica • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

On a 1990 GM car - which sensors can tell the computer to shut down the engine?
Billy the wrench

Usually the security system can do it. There is also an ASD (auto shut down) that can do it in the event of an accident.

I am pretty sure there has been no accident. I am using the car that came with the car - is there a method of checking the security system?

Billy the wrench
The security system light will stay on. As far as checking it, the dealer is the only one that has the proper test equipment.

Thanks. The nearest dealer is $150 tow job away. Symtoms: Car starts easy - runs 2-3 seconds and shuts off. I have about 50psi fuel pressure all the time. Must be ignition cut off. Have owned the car since day one. Is there any other sensor that can stop the ignition in 2-3 seconds?

Billy the wrench
Many, but most common is the crank sensor.

Thanks, I will check that-

Billy the wrench
I did more research. Everything I have read indicates there is an ASD, but I've gone through every schematic I can find and can't locate it. I have attached a copy of the wiring schematic for engine performance. It should be on that schematic. Maybe you'll find it because I can't. Also, I have to say if the ASD was kicked, there would be no fuel getting to the engine, so that makes me question it. As far as the schematic, the manual may be indicating a general statement of all GM vehicles produces at that time.

Let me know what you find.

Jooe, thanks for the diagram. I dont see it either. Got the car up on jack stands - will be looking at the Crankshaft position sensor today. I'll let you know what I find.

Billy the wrench
Glad to help. Let me know what you find.

Finally got to it. New CPS in place - just because the old one was heat cracked all around. Still the same problem - no change.

Billy the wrench