AIR MASS METER

1989 Volvo 245

Shop replaced the Air Mass Meter on 89 Volvo 245 with new remanufactred Bosch unit supplied by me. Car still ran rough. Returned to shop and was told unit is defective. Now they want me to pay for diagnosis and labor charges to replace it with another sensor. I will pay for another sensor part. But I don't feel I should have the pay diagnosis and installation charges again. The car was clearly still not running right after they installed the first replacement, i.E it was clearly either a defective part or an incorrect installation (they happened to mentioned the shop "runner" and not the mechanic did the air filter replacement that day because they were very busy. I have heard that if this isn't done right it can damage the air sensor). Yet they gave me the keys and off I went. I feel catching the bad part, or install, should have happened the first time they did the work (the car clearly was still running poorly, don't think they test drove it at all) and I shouldn't be charged for diagnosis and labor twice. Your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.
Itwerx2

Who diagnosed the original problem and told you to replace the air flow meter? Did you pay someone for that diagnosis or just to replace the part? Did they do an actual diagnosis or just retrieve codes?

Wrenchtech
An actual diagnosis of the original problem (rough idle/running) was done by the shop that subsequently installed the meter. According to the invoice, what they did included: 1. Check rough running and check/clear codes ($24.48)
2. Check fuel pressure (OK) ($48.95)
3. Check/clean/repair connections at the air mass meter, car runs bad ($24.48)
4. Replace AMM. Test drive and cars runs OK. ($48.95)
I was then told that the only two AMM's they had were priced at $375 and $250. I said I'd like to try to find one for less. They said they would install it (I've been a customer there for about 15 years and they do offer used parts when available). They recommended I buy a Bosch part and gave me the part# to look for. I was able to find a new reconditioned Bosch part in a factory sealed box for less so bought it and took it to the shop to be installed. This is the part that was in the car when I picked the car up and found it was still running rough. I checked with the guy I bought the part from to see if he has received any other complaints. He said he has sold 14 of the same units in the last few months and has not had any issues. He said he acquired the parts from an OEM warehouse which had closed. Thanks for your reply.

Itwerx2
If that was the sequence of events, then I would agree that they should be looking at it for no charge at this point and standing behind their original diagnosis. It would even be questionable that they would charge for a further repairs for the same symptom since their original diagnosis appears to have been wrong.

Wrenchtech