HONDA CIVIC BRAKES PROBLEM

1988 Honda Civic • 288,000 miles

Hi, I'm changing my rear disc brakes for the first time, so I wanted to know if I had to bleed the brake fluid? If I do have to, what is the best method to? And should I change just the brake shoes, or replace the drums, cylinders, and hardware (such as the springs) as well? Another thing, I'm in college so any recommendations for less expensive products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shunter16

As long as you don't open the brake system up, you don't have to bleed the brakes. As far as procedure, inspect everything. If the hardware is in good condition, it will be fine. Just replace the brake pads.

Alright. Are there any special tools I need?

Shunter16
Nothing special is needed.

You did say rear DISC brakes right?If you have rear DISC brakes then there are no shoes, drums or cylinders. So are they drum or disc?I want to help you but I need to know what you are working on. And yes either way there are certain tools that you will need.

Homer1967
You have a drum brake on the rear -For tools needed go to this link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Brake-spring-pliers/_/N-26l5Z1z141ur?itemIdentifier=46854_0_0_

Also see below

Sorry I meant drum not disc.

Shunter16
No problem man. We just need to know exactly what you are working with so we can help you. Thank you for choosing 2 car pros.

Homer1967
I just did them today and first I wanted to say thanks for the advice, it helped. Secondly, now my braking is even worse and I don't have any idea what I screwed up. I basically have to press the pedal all the way to the floor before I get any braking. Any advice?

Shunter16
Can you get a repair manual for your vehicle?They sell them at all the parts stores. It will have pictures for you to go buy and compare to. It is impossible to say what the problem is or where you went wrong without seeing the vehicle. Please do not drive it.

Homer1967
Ok thanks!

Shunter16
Page 1 of 2