FUEL PROBLEMS

1985 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 187,500 miles

Spits and sputters. Have to constantly feather the gas and wants to die out climbing a hill. Speed drops to 25 mph.I have changed the fu 4el filter. Oil was just done. It does not backfire. But have no power and it takes almost 6miles to reach 55mph. It is a 5speed 4×4. Could there possibly be a blockage some where
Jmpatt

Start by checking the fuel pump pressure. Make sure it is within the manufacturer's specs. Also, when was the last tune up? One final question. Has the oil been changed on a regular basis? My concern is with that many miles, things can wear out of not maintained.

Let me know.

I just realized it was an 85 and bit a 95. What engine do you have, the 2.5L 4 cylinder or the 2.8L V6?

Regular tune ups. And it is a 2.5l 4cylinder

Jmpatt
First, if you got that many miles out of that engine, you have done well. They usually went around 100K.

A common issue that the 4cyl had was the carb would get loose and then there was a major power loss. Check to make sure it is tight. Also, is the engine misfiring? Have you checked fuel delivery? Have you checked engine compression?

Its got good compression and carb is tight. Could it have a blockage at the throttle body.

Jmpatt
Have you checked to make sure the catalytic converter isn't plugged? As far as the throttle body, I don't feel there is a blockage.