BRAKES

1984 Jeep Scrambler/CJ8 • V8 4WD Automatic • 206,000 miles

Does a slightly higher engine idle effect braking performance?

i installed a 2002 chevy 5.3 in a jeep cj. I also completed a full rear brake installation. The brakes are properly installed and all brakes are fully bled. 1st half of pedal travel doesn't have much stopping power but at end of pedal travel brakes are firm and strong. Is this a description of a master cylinder or possibly a vacuum issue?
Heymikeyo

Would go with master cylinder booster failure would give hard pedal travel

Docfixit
Thanks for the response!

How could I troubleshoot to verify? Any possibility that this is a proportioning valve issue?

Heymikeyo
My 2002 5.3 Chevy also seems to idle a bit too high, maybe 300-400 rpm. I haven't installed a tach yet so its just a guess. Would adjusting the throttle plate stop be the correct way to lower the idle rpm?

Heymikeyo
What you feel is primary piston leakby till you hit seconday then feel resistence. NOT combo valve. As for idle DO NOT adjust throttle computer controled was GM PCM and wiring installed? Idle should be @600-700 in gear

Docfixit
With the CJ, do you feel confident with your bleeding procedure?

Sart w/ RR-LR-RF-LF furtherest to nearest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1iPbeg778

Did you adjust your self adjusters, with a BRAKE SPOON, so that the drums slightly scrape the shoes as you turn the wheels 'round and 'round?....NOT TOO TIGHT!!!

I can help you with any of this, and more, keep throwing questions out here.....I haven't seen a CJ in Weeks!!!! I can send pics of many repairs/ modifications on mine. You too, can send pics.

I answer a lot of the CJ stuff, in the 5 and 7 forums, it's what I do best! Sole reason I'm here at 2carfellers!

The Medic