JEEP CJ7 HEATER PROBLEM

1984 Jeep CJ7 • 125,000 miles

I have 84 cj7 with 258 6cyl how are the heater hoses to be routed. Male ends include I have 2 on heater core, 1 on water pump, 1 on thermo housing, 1 on intake in front of carb and 1 behind carb thank you

I WROTE YOU A NOVEL FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES---THEN THE POWER GLITCHED---I LOST IT ALL

I WILL GET YOUR INFO FOR YOU REAL SOON---(CHOW TIME NOW)

BEAR WITH ME

---THERE IS THE FACTORY WAY

USUALLY IT'S THE SAME WAY MOST APPROACH IT WITHOUT GUIDANCE

THEN THERE'S THE WAY THAT'S A TEENY BIT MORE COMPLICATED (NOT MUCH REALLY) BUT WILL PROVIDE EACH FIXTURE INVOLVED WITH LOTS OF HEATED RADIATOR JUICE. THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT FOR THE HEATER CORE(S)

YOU WILL CALL ME A GENIUS SOON!

WHILE I EAT CHOW WITH MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE---FEEL FREE TO LOOK AT THE CJ 5 AND CJ 7 FORUMS HEREI SORTA HAVE ANSWERED MOST OF THE QUESTIONS IN THOSE 2 FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS.I LIVE CJ!

RESPOND IF YOU LIKE--I'LL BE BACK SOON!

ALRIGHTY THEN

I'M GONNA SHOW YOU THE "NORM" OF HOW PEOPLE DO THIS---THIS COOLS THE WATER BEFORE IT REACHES YOUR HEATER CORE (I JUST DON'T THINK YOU WANT YOU HEAT "USED" BEFORE YOU GET TO FEEL IT)----SEE 1ST PIC

HECK.80 % OF THE PEOPLE I MEET WITH A CJ ARE NOT USING THEIR CONTROLS CORRECTLY --- THUS NOT BENEFITING FROM THE AVAILABLE HEAT THAT IS THERE

EVEN WHEN YOU START TO SHOW THEM HOW IT "REALLY WORKS", THEY GET THAT "DO I LOOK STUPID?" ATTITUDE!

ONCE SHOWN. THEY NORMALLY GET A BIT HAPPIER, WITH THEIR NEW FOUND KNOWLEDGE

IMMA PLUMBER---I SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER OVER THE YEARS!

THE SYSTEM NEED TO BE SET UP LIKE A STEAM SYSTEM---WHEREAS YOU HAVE A "SUPPLY" AND A "RETURN" TO FEED EACH PIECE REQUIRING HOT WATER. ONCE IT DUMPS INTO THE RETURN LINE, TEMPERATURE DOES NOT MATTER, IT'S NOT USED AGAIN---IT GOES BACK INTO THE BLOCK TO BE REHEATED. NOT RUNNING ONE CONTINUOUS SERIES OR LOOP THRU EVERYTHING !

BASICALLY IN MY PIC 2, YOU WILL SEE AT THE BEGINNING YOU NEED TO START OUT W/ 3/4 HEATER HOSETHEN WE REDUCE IT TO 5/8 WITH A BRASS REDUCER (FOUND AT AUTO PARTS STORE, USUALLY NEAR THE HOSE CLAMPS)

YOU ARE GONNA NEED 2 TEEs ALSO---BRASS IF POSSIBLE---WHATEVER YOU GET NEEDS TO BE RATED FOR HOT TEMPS

3/4 IS THE ONLY SIZE HOSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO "FIGHT ON" AND WON'T BE DEFORMED

THERE ARE 2 REASONS FOR REDUCING TO 5/8

1ST REASONTHE HEATER CORE AND INTAKE HAVE 5/8 INLETS AND OUTLETS

2ND REASON----SMALLER HOSE ALLOWS THE RADIATOR JUICE TO MOVE FASTER THRU IT

IF YOU FOLLOW THE RED AND BLUE LINES---THE HOTTEST WATER GOES INTO EACH FIXTURE--- WHATEVER KINDA RESTRICTIONS ARE IN THE FIXTURE DON'T MATTER. DOING IT THIS WAY (BY RESTRICTIONS I MEAN WHATEVER MIGHT SLOW THE FLOW OF WATER DOWN) --- IN A SERIES FLOW COULD BE SLOWED WAY DOWN TO THE POINT THAT THE HEAT IS GONE BEFORE IT GETS TO THE DESIRED LOCATIONTHE "PARALLEL OR STEAM SYSTEM WAY" THE USED COOLER WATER COMES OUT OF EACH FIXTURE AT EACH ONES OWN RATE OF FLOW AND IS NOT USED FOR HEATING PURPOSES AGAIN, AS IT MAKES IT'S WAY BACK TO THE WATER PUMP

WHEN I'VE HELPED OTHERS INSTALL THEIRS----WE RUN IT TO AND FROM THE HEATER HEATER CORE 1ST THEN GO BACK AND CUT IN THE TEES TO THE INTAKE

NORMALLY WHEN WE ARE DONE---IT LOOKS LIKE 2 ARCHES--ONE IN THE FRONT AND ONE NEAR THE BACK OF THE MOTOR WHERE WE TEEd OVER TO THE INTAKE

INSURE YOU CUT THE LINES IN SO THEY DON'T INTERFERE WITH YOUR OIL FILL CAP, ETC.

WE ALSO TAKE 4-6 INCH PIECES OF HOSE---SPLIT THEM AND COVER THE HEATER HOSES ANYWHERE THEY MAY RUB METAL

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AT THE WATER OUTLET AND WATERPUMP---THE BRACKETS AND STUFF UP THERE WILL RUB A HOLE IN THE HOSE. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!

I "INVENTED" MY OWN HEATERS THRU NECESSITY----I NAMED THEM, "THE SAHARA BREEZE"

THE 1ST PROTOTYPE WENT INTO MY 1946 FOR A HIS PRIMARY HEAT---AS HE HAD NONE ORIGINALLY

THE 2ND HEATER, I TOOK MY TIME AND USED THE SAME CORE AND BLOWER THAT I USED IN THE 1ST ONETHIS ONE LOOKS A BIT BETTER AND IS FASHIONED FROM SHEET METAL

I HAVE IT INSTALLED IN MY '77 CJ 5---I CRANK IT UP WHEN THE FACTORY HEATER JUST AIN'T CUTTING IT

IT WILL RUN YOU OUT OF THERE, IF BOTH ARE RUNNING!

SEND PICS OF YOUR RIG

ASK MORE QUESTIONS IF YOU LIKE. NO NEED IN STARTING A NEW THREAD

YOUR TURN

ARE YOU WARM YET?

Medic,

That set up is the direction I went. My? Is about the the thermostat overflow. Where is the hose from that port routed to?

Cruser
Cruser

NEW JEEP BUDDY ON HERE?

. THE ORIGINAL "ASKER"s USERNAME DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

I'M GLAD YOU HAVE FOUND INTEREST IN ONE OF MY ANSWERS (I'VE ANSWERED MIGHT NEAR EVERY CJ 5 & 7 QUESTION THAT HAS COME THRU HERE IN THE LAST THREE YEARS, ALONG WITH MAYBE ANOTHER 6000 MORE FOR OTHER (SUBSTANDARD) VEHICLES

THE CJs ARE MY THING. ISN'T IT ODD THAT THEY'VE BEEN AROUND FOREVER, THERE'S ONLY BEEN NEAR A 1000 QUESTIONS FOR THEM ON HERE? COMPARE THAT WITH THE CHEROKEE, BLAZER, EXPLORER FORUMS

REASON BEING. THEY ARE BUILT THAT GOOD. EZ TO MAINTAIN. THEY ARE MOSTLY STILL DESIRED AND IN OPERATION AFTER ALL OF THIS TIME
.
.

.
. BACK TO YOU ON THIS ONE. WHATCHU GOT?. WHAT ENGINE. ELABORATE ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING.I LIKE PICS TOO, I ALWAYS LIKE TO SEE HOW OTHER PEOPLE TREAT THEIR BABIES, EVEN THE PAINT SCHEMES AND ACCESSORIES

I'M GUESSING YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE HEATER HOSE CONNECTION ON THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING?

I'VE HELPED QUITE A FEW PEOPLE LOCALLY, CHANGE THEIR HEATER HOSE CONFIGURATION SO THAT THE "HEAT" GETS TO WHERE IT'S NEEDED 1ST, TEEing OFF OF THE THE "MAIN FEED" ( FROM THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING TO EACH "FIXTURE". THEN THE "WASTE" COMES BACK, FROM EACH FIXTURE, TO THE WATER PUMP TO BE REHEATED. MOST ARE STOCK AND DO NOT HAVE A 2ND HEATER LIKE MINE. THEY DO BOAST ABOUT HOW MUCH WARMER THEIR HEAT IS IN THE COCKPIT!

I MAY BE ABLE TO SEND YOU SOME PICS FROM ONE OR TWO OF THEM, AS THEY ARE NOW CLOSE PALS, AND CONSULT WITH ME ON ANY JEEP STUFF

YOUR TURN.I'LL TALK JEEP, TILL YOU ARE TIRED OF ME!