ENGINE OVER HEATS,FRONT BRAKES LOCKUP

1983 Toyota Corona • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 30,000 miles

Toyota corona 1983 4 speed/4cyl motor over heats front brakes lockup is this normal, have to replace water with antifreeze asap.
Tazmantazania

Ovrheating of engine should be due to a cooling system fault. Either is insufficient coolant in system or the fans, radiator, water pump or water passages have a fault.

Was any repairs done to the brakes prior to them locking up? It has nothing to do with the engine overheating.

Hmm strange mate, I replaced a hose due to a leak refilled with water, over heats and brake pedal goes hard, engine over heats, then front brakes lock up.I let the pressure out of radiator, I put a towel folded over ontop of radiator cap before I un screw it otherwise boiling hot water spews every where, ad cold water and away I go again, happens everty time car gets hot with the brakes. No work has been done to them the brakes. Thankyou for your help. Im oinly a dsp pensioner no friends to ask for help. Slowly saving up to buy another car.

Tazmantazania
After replacement of the hose, you need to bleed the system of air, failing hich I is going to overheat.

With radiator cap off, topup the coolant and start engine. When level drops, top it up. Run for about 5 minutes and stop engine. Top up coolant if necessary and close radiator cap.

Run engine to operating temperature and stop engine. Wait for it to cool doen and recheck coolant level. If it is low, top up and run engine foe 5 minutes again, topping as required.

Close radiator cap and run to operating temperature again. Check for leakages.

If the brake pedal locks up, it could be the brake fluids are not returning to the master cylinder due to insufficient clearance between the brake pedal and booster push rod. This would heat up the brake fluid causing them to lock up after some driving distance.

Tazmantazania
hi thankyou so very much for everyones help, much appreciated.
I found a green plastc thing with hoses connected to it, one end of hose was off the green plastic thingie going to brakelines, one hose was cracked at both ends so I fixed that and reconnected, found a second brakefluid cyclinder nearly empty refilled that with brakefluid, refilled radiotor with coolant, and all seems to be going ok.P.S. If anyone in Hobart Tassie, knows of anyone selling a good reliable clean car 4cyld upto $1000-$1300 please let me know, ive been saving for a long time and im a tad worried about buying a bomb and being ripped off, it will take me another two years to save up again to buy a car, so been trying to keep the corona going for as long as I can. Thankyou for everyone for your help. Marcus

Tazmantazania
Glad to know you have fixed your problem.

Have a great day.