PILOT BUSHING KEEPS GOING OUT.

1983 Jeep CJ5 • 6 cylinder 4WD Manual •

I have a 1983 Jeep CJ5 that just had a engine replaced a year ago inline 6 248. At the same time I had the clutch replaced. The pilot bushing keeps going out on it. I have had it replaced 4 times. It goes out around every 6,000 miles. The last time it went out in 100 miles.
I think the guys at the shop are starting to hate me. I don't think it is the bushing anymore. Maybe they could have bent the spline on the transmission when they reinsalled the engine?
I think they are at a loss..
Richmondzb

When you say "goes out" what exactly happens to pilot?

Docfixit
It starts making a honking noise from the clutch area. They say it is due to excessive heat.

Richmondzb
What physcially happens to bearing?

Docfixit
The inside is pitted. Still looks like it has its shape.

Richmondzb
Have them check race on end input shaft for scoring. Also check shaft for play maybe input bearing worn. Have them mic. Shaft end and bushing inside diameter. Should not be more than.003-.005 ths.

Docfixit
Another thing that might give you some light. When in first gear only, I take off the shifter shakes really bad.

Richmondzb
Sounds like your tranny needs rebuilding

Maybe your front bearing has had it. Letting it "waller" around thus muffing your pilot bushing.

Thanks for divulging that info soon!

What tranny you got?

I just rebuilt my T-150 recently---all new internals, just reused my case!

Keep info coming, We will, at minimum, steer you toward inexpensive, if we can

The Medic

It is a T-5. I will have them check that front bearing.

Richmondzb
Roger,

This may be the deal--this would make everything wear--bearings and shafts.

The rear bearing adapter on my tranny, just sorta "sits" in it's hole, in the housing, the transfer case holds it in place, once fastened to the tranny.

If you separate the Tranny and transfer case. 1st, one must pull the shifter housing off, and wedge something in behind the 1st/ reverse gear (I use 2 big screwdrivers, one is just insurance!)---before you remove the transfer case....otherwise the bearing adapter falls out/ gets dragged out the rear of the case.

If you are gonna rebuild the tranny no big deal.............
If you must put it back together after service/ repair of clutch or transfer case...

YOU "ASSUME" the tranny should still be "serviceable", cause it shouldn't have been "Messed With"

No Big Deal???? .....When it falls out, even slightly, the INPUT SHAFT AND THE MAINSHAFT SEPARATE, inside the tranny.....ALL/ MOST OF THE NEEDLE BEARINGS FALL OUT!!!!

If you were not aware--You would CRAM the Rear Bearing Adapter Back in (IT WOULD GO BACK IN!) But now the needle bearings are in the bottom of the case!!!......The Shafts can no longer run "Centered" on each other...Stuff will wear badly, shifting would be bad, tranny noise for sure.

On mine I "wire" the bearing adapter to the case, until it is time to install the transfer case....During re-installation

In the next pics, look at my needle bearings, in the input shaft....then see the surface of the main shaft (Nose, under my thumb) that fits "Snuggly" inside of them. The adapter is the "red thing" on the rear.

Looks like if you separate the 2 housings of your tranny this could happen to yours. Linking you to a pic

http://www.vintagejeepparts.com/Parts_Transmission_07.asp

# 9 in the link is your input shaft, the other shaft and needle bearings go into the back of it.

If someone else let your shafts move apart, needle bearings fall out, in the past---they caused your whole problem!

It's like the continuous 2 piece shaft "running staight and true", NOW HAS A BROKEN BACK!

Heres my pics

Your Turn

The Medic

Just checking on you---what have you got figured out?

I hate to write all night, then never hear the rest of the story.I do this to help people (I go all out for the CJ People!), I did not sign up here, for $$$, I just started answering questions (Mostly crusading to help the CJs), while I was laid up a long time with an injury. Just concerned if you are/ have been done right.I sorta learned the CJs on my own, finding the correct resources, I have had 6 total, still have the last 2, never drove anything else. Pretty much had little to start with on both, I rebuilt them, by myself. I do know what it's like to be at the mercy of others!

What's going on on your end?

The Medic

Page 1 of 2