CAR STARTS THEN A WIRE BURNS THROUGH AND STOPS RUNNING

1983 AMC Eagle • 48,000 miles

The engine starts in the ignition start position. Once started key in run position blows a 30 amp fuse in a fuseable link that runs from the positive side of the solenoid through wiring harness, through firewall and into ignition switch. Car will run approximately 3 seconds before it blows the fuse. Have changed the ignition switch on underside of steering column. Still blows fuse. Any help would be appreciated as I'm going broke buying 30 amp fuses. Thanks
Dmthomas

Stop putting in fuses, it fixes nothing.

You need to see whats on the circuit that the wire feeds. Then one at a time, you need to check each component and related wiring for failure. It is a long tedious job looking for shorts and grounds. It is best left to electrical shops familiar with this kind of failure.

I HAVE A REALLY NICE 1979 JEEP CJ WIRE DIAGRAM

FOR 258 AND 304 ENGINES

ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT YOUR CAR, I FEEL LIKE MUCH OF THE SYSTEM FOR THE ENGINE WILL WIRE UP THE SAME WAY

I DO NOT KNOW HOW WIRE COLORS WILL INTERCHANGE, BUT DESTINATIONS MAY BE THE SAME

I TOOK AN ORIGINAL DIAGRAM TO "MS PAINT" AND COLORED ALL THE WIRES (EXCEPT WHITE, REMAINS THIN BLACK). IF THE WIRE HAD A TRACER STRIPE, EXAMPLE GREEN/TR-18.I RAN A GREEN LINE AND DOTTED IT BLACK

NOW THAT THE DIAGRAM DOES NOT HAVE A BUNCH OF BLACK PARALLEL LINES. ALL COLORED NOW, TRACING A CIRCUIT IS REALLY FAST AND EZ

TWO DAYS AGO, I EMAILED BOTH SIDES TO AN OFFICE STORE. THEY BLEW 'EM UP TO 24" X 36".I MATED THEM, TOOK IT BACK AND THEY LAMINATED IT.

I LIKE IT!

NOW HANGING IN MY GARAGE!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT MY 2 PICS

IF SO, I WILL INITIATE A MESSAGE SO YOU CAN LEAVE ME YOUR INFO, AND I CAN SEND THEM (LEFT SIDE, AND RIGHT SIDE) THEY OVERLAP AT THE "6" GRID

BELOW, IS A PIC OF MY MONSTER DIAGRAM, DERIVED FROM MY MODIFIED PICS, WHICH I'M WILLING TO SHARE

THINK YOU CAN USE MY DIAGRAMS?

LET ME KNOW.I WILL INITIATE A MESSAGE IN "MESSAGING"

YOU CAN GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS THERE, IT WILL NOT BE BROADCAST TO THE WORLD, AS IF YOU LEAVE IT HERE

I REALLY THINK THEY MAY HELP WITH YOUR PROBLEM

THEY WILL BE ILLEGIBLE IF I POST 'EM HERE

I sure would appreciate that. Thanks

Dmthomas
ALL-RIGHTY THEN!

LET'S FIND ME IN "MESSAGES"

TOP OF THIS PAGE. CLICK ON "YOURSELF". LOOK LEFT."VIEW MY MESSAGES"

I'LL HAVE ONE THERE IN A JIFFY!

Caradidoc HAS A METHOD THAT MAY HELP YOU LOCATE A SHORT

IT'S NOT HARD TO SET UP......AND WIGGLING STUFF OR ACTIVATING STUFF MAY MAKE HIS "LIGHT METHOD" WORK FOR YOU TO FIND THE PROBLEM

HERE'S A LINK TO HIS EXPLANATION

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1995-toyota-corolla-electrical-problem--2

I'VE SEEN HIM THROW IT OUT SEVERAL TIMES---I WENT TO "SEARCH" ENTERED caradiodoc...BULB...SHORT...SPADE........TO LOCATE THIS ONE....IF YOU LOOK AT ENOUGH OF THEM, HE EXPLAINS IN GREATER DETAIL SOMETIMES

ARE WE GETTING ANYWHERE?

DIAGRAMS DO YOU ANY GOOD?

ARE THINGS COOPERATING WITH YOU?

ANY HEADWAY?

Haven't forgot about the help I've gotten from you. I have so many things going on haven't had the time yet to look into it. And with living in Midwest the weather is changing to snow. Will start looking into it within the next couple of days off I get. Thanks again, will keep you posted on progress when I get back to it.

Dmthomas
AIRBORNE!