MANUAL TRANSMISSION POPS OUT OF 1ST GEAR

1979 Jeep CJ5 • 80,000 miles

My manual 3 speed transmission won't stay in 1st gear unless I pull down on the shifter. If I let go of the shifter it will pop out of gear. 2nd, 3rd, and reverse work just fine.
Koeneke2000

IT'S TIME!

EZiST POSSIBILITY---1st--REVERSE SHIFT FORK IS BENT FROM BEING JERKED INTO GEAR HARD (MAYBE OVER TIME)

MAYBE 1ST--REVERSE SYNCRONIZER IS WORN OUT

POSSIBLY WORN OUT INPUT OR OUTPUT BEARINGS

THE ONE I LIKE THE MOST. SOMEONE PULLED THE TRANSFER CASE OFF---LET THE REAR BEARING ADAPTER IN THE TRANNY SLIDE OUT (EVEN A LITTLE).

UNKNOWN IN THE FRONT END OF THE TRANNY. THE MAINSHAFT SLID BACK OFF OF THE INPUT SHAFT. NEEDLE BEARINGS FELL OUT----THEY SHOVED THE BEARING ADAPTER BACK IN ('CAUSE IT WOULD) NOW THE NEEDLE BEARINGS ARE IN THE BOTTOM. THE 2 SHAFTS ARE NOW "FLOPPY" WHERE THEY JOIN.

NOW. WE CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT. THE 2 SHAFTS LOOK LIKE A "BROKE-BACK MINNOW" WHEN THEY ARE UNDER LOAD

THINGS DON'T LINE UP "STRAIGHT" ANYMORE

STUFF STARTS WEARING, WHERE IT NORMALLY WOULD NOT

STICK JUMPS OUT

CAN YOU REPAIR THIS YOURSELF?

I PUT EVERYTHING INSIDE MY TRANNY---BRAND NEW (I DIDN'T HAVE TOO). BUT WHAT THE HECK. IT'S A VIRGIN AGAIN! COST WAS A LITTLE OVER $850

TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD!

I TOOK LOTS OF PICS---THIS IS JUST A FEW

Koeneke2000 THIS IS CJ MEDEVAC, COME IN. OVER

. Koeneke2000 THIS IS CJ MEDEVAC, COME IN. OVER

koeneke2000 THIS IS CJ MEDEVAC, RADIO CHECK. OVER

. AND WE ARE KEEPIN' ME IN SUSPENSE. WHY?