WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY STARTER AND BATTERY?

1979 Chevrolet Silverado

I have a 1979 k10 chevy. When I first got it I had to change the starter and the flywheel because it was the wrong starter for the truck an ate the flywheel to shit. I got a new starter from the parts store. I tried Putin shims on it. I've tryed everything. Now here recently when I tryed turning the key over the nothins happening and the batter cables are plugged in. It's a brand new battery. And it's charged because when I went to plug the cables in. It was shooting sparks at me. Could anyone help me?
Carlabrown11

Check with a test light at the starter and see if the light is as bright as it is at the battery. You may have a bad cable. There are also fusible links connected to the starter. Alot of times those burn up and truck won't start. They are available at auto parts stores. There are a couple and you should be able to see them, they will have to be reconnected to the wire they are connected to.