WHY WONT MY CAR START?

1978 Chevrolet Nova • 69,000 miles

I turned the key and it turn over but not start, tried again and wouldnt even turn over no click, buzz, nothing. But I do still have dash lights
Amberanderson

Start by checking the battery cable connections to be sure they're clean and tight. Use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure the battery voltage. If it's below 12.6, charge it at a slow rate for an hour, then see what the voltage is.

Had a freind check it out the battery checked out good and he even checked the starter which can be kicked over under the hood, but the car can still not be kicked over inside the car still no click or buzz jus silence.

Amberanderson
In that case I would suspect the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic transmission or the clutch switch if you have a manual transmission and that switch is used.

My 78 Nova is an automatic. What exactly is a nuetral safety switch? I dont know alot about cars but I have never heard of that. Is it like an ignition switch?

Amberanderson
That's the switch that prevents you from starting the engine when the transmission is in reverse or drive. It will only start in park or neutral.

The car is in park tho.

Amberanderson
Nevermind sorry I get what your saying! Thanks so much for your help!

Amberanderson