1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass HELP

Tiny
SHAFFER017
  • 1989 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS
  • 6 CYL
  • FWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 14,939 MILES
My car runs fine when its cold. When it gets up to operating temp it starts to flutter then die then it wont start for about 1 hour then will run fine till it gets hot again. I replaced the egr valve the coil packs and the icm, and fuel filter and I still have the same problem. I took in to a shop and hooked it up to a computer and flashed no codes and tested the fuel pressure from the fuel rail and tested good, but told me the EGR valve was electronicly unplugged. They plugged it in and seemed to run fine. So I left and two blockes down the road it flutters and dies while im driving. It doesnt matter if im driving or im parked it does the same thing
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:09 AM

5 Replies

Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Don't wait for an hour do below immediately to catch it

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:20 AM
Tiny
SHAFFER017
  • 3 POSTS
I tried that when it died I checked for spark and there was no spark at all but when I wait it sparkes again and when they checked the fuel pressure it was at 37 psi
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:30 AM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Check and test the crankshaft positioning sensor.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:39 AM
Tiny
SHAFFER017
  • 3 POSTS
Ok what will I be looking for what should it test to and were is it located on 3.1L v6
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:50 AM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
The CPS is on the right front of engine

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps1_7.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 7:18 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content

Sponsored links