Whistling sound from front driver's wheel

DANNYLASVEGAS
  • 2001 SATURN SL1
I have recently started hearing a whistling sound coming from the front driver's side wheel. It speeds up as I go faster and slows down as I go slower. It stops when I stop. I hear it going forward and in reverse. I can still hear it when applying the brakes. Turning one way or another doesn't seem to make any difference. Otherwise, everything seems normal. I just had a new rad put in, but I doubt that would have anything to do with it. I would appreciate any ideas/advice you can provide on this issue. Thanks.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 AT 7:35 PM

JOHNNYT73
Could be a warning tab on a brake pad touching the rotor or a wheel bearing.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 AT 8:06 PM
DANNYLASVEGAS
It's an intermittent sound though, not constant. The time between the sounds gets shorter as I pick up speed. And it's not just when I apply the brakes, so it wouldn't be a brake pad, would it? I wish I could come up with a better word for it than "whistling", because it's not exactly. Maybe squeaking? I don't know. I guess I'll have no choice but to take it in and have it looked at. I was hoping to avoid that as I'm a single father on disability. Anyway, if u think of anything else, let me know. Thanks.
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 3:23 PM
SATURNTECH9
If it were the brake sensor or if part of the brake went metal to metal then it could be the pad.I have the noise very random and the noise be there when applying the brake or stop when the brakes are applied.
Sunday, November 30th, 2014 AT 7:34 AM
DANNYLASVEGAS
The sound is there both when brake are or are not being applied.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 9:09 PM
DANNYLASVEGAS
It is there all the time, except when I come to a complete stop. I can compare it to striking a key on a piano. As I drive slow, it is like striking the key every 2 seconds. Then as I speed up the time between the strikes shortens, as if I'm striking it every second, and then 1/2 a second. Then if I get on the highway and above 100 km/hr, I can no longer hear it. But once I slow down, I can hear it again until I stop, then it's gone. So it's definitely related to the spinning of the wheel. But when I check the wheel, I see nothing unusual. Nothing stuck in the tire or wheel well.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 9:21 PM