TORQUE CONVERTER

2001 Volvo XC70

Kellygreen

August, 20, 2008 AT 3:11 PM

2001 Volvo XC70 Automatic 100, 00 miles

I have a bad torque converter in my Volvo. The mechanic has recommended a full transmission replacement ($3800 + $700 labor) as he inidicates that when the torque converter breaks it can often damage the transmission. I am opting to try only changing out the torque converter as the transmission was replaced at apprxomiately 60,000 and I really don't want to have to dump another 5k into this car. Anyway, they are going to charge the same labor fee of $700 just for the torque converter. My regular volvo mechanic tells me that the torque converter actually sits on the front of the transmission and would not require complete removal of the transmission; therefore labor costs should be less than the cost for full transmission replacement. Is this true?

August, 22, 2008 AT 8:58 AM

Hi Kellygreen,

To replace the torque converter, the trans assy has to be removed completely. The job is same as replacement of trans assy.

Why don't you ask your regular Volvo mechanic to replace the torque converter if it is cheaper?