2001 VOLVO S80 HOW OFTEN THE TRANSMISSION OIL SHOULD BE CHA

• karolny
  • 2001 Volvo S80

2001 Volvo S80 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112680 miles

Hi, I have a 2001 Volvo S80, recently I had my car's trnasmission fluid changed. While the change was made, the technician at the transmission shop told me that filter change is recommened and he changed it. At the dealer they told me that is not recommended and it's easy process of graining out the old fluid. Please tell me who is right? Will the filter chenge in the transmission cause any problem to it? Will the preformance decrease? How many quarts of fluid is required? The dealer tols me 4 quatrers will be enough, is this true? Thank you.

Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 8:18 AM

• racefan966

Ok first off the dealer recomendations are not real clear is say's to check it and change as needed. So with that the industry standard is to service the transmission about every 24,000 under normal driving 12.000 if there is a lot of towing and this would include the filter. So if a trans shop that has any reputation did the job it should be fine. As for the trans fluid it should take 4 to 5 quarts. If there is any more you need just ask. Thanks.

Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 9:33 AM
  • JIS001

Just wanted to let you know that it is ok to change the transmission filter. As to the quantity of oil it actually takes 7 to 7.50 quarts of oil. I have a 2001 S80 myself and just changed the oil myself. You should also have the transmission fluid change counter reset when you change your oil or your TCM could set a false code.

Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 3:59 PM
  • lawrencewah

HI JIS001

Did yu have a problem like high rpm before resetting the transmission counter?

Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 1:52 PM
  • JIS001

Not at all.

Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 7:56 PM