TRUNK STRUTS, REPLACE

1998 Volvo S70

BrucePerkins

May, 29, 2008 AT 10:23 AM

Interior problem
1998 Volvo S70 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

1st, the engine size is 5 cylinder but drop-down did not have that option so 4 is my choice however the real question is.

Both trunk struts that make it easy as pie to open lost their pneumatic punch and petered out. I've identified the strut part numbers and even tried a test run trying to remove one of them, no luck. What is the secret for removing AND installing the struts and I hope no specialty tools are needed.

I'm a handy person in construction but some of these car engineers are too clever for my car repair skills.

Thanks and I just joined your blog so this is my one and only FREE question.

Bruce Perkins

cubby12000

July, 17, 2008 AT 9:27 PM

I just did this job. The difficult part is removing the front end of the trunck strut that is snapped on to a bar behind each back seat. Small and strong hands can do the job or some creative thinking to use force to pop the snap off the bar (but be careful if you go this route).
The opposite end of the strut pops on to a round head on the trunk lift and this goes on pretty easy (with strong hands). No special tools are required for this job, but you need to contort your hand and apply pressure from some odd positions to be successful.

Safely Replace Your Rear Struts
Replacing Your Front Struts Like a Pro
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado