TRANSMISSION OR POWER STEERING

1985 Volkswagen Van

BarbaraE

March, 2, 2009 AT 3:41 PM

1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 256000 miles

My van all of a sudden started making loud grinding sounds when I am in 1st and 2nd gears. But the sound itself seems to be coming from the steering. But when this started happening, the gear shift has no resistance when putting it in 1st, 2nd, or reverse. But it still seems to shift fine and its driving fine. Is this a power steering problem or transmission going out? Thank you.

Dr Loot

March, 7, 2009 AT 10:18 PM

I think you may be confused by the sound it is making, are you sure it's a grinding sound? Or is it a squeaking sound? Or is it a clicking sound? Or is it a buzzing sound, with 256,000 miles I think I would be hearing a lot of different noises, but if it's a grinding sound coming out of the front, you can almost bet it's time for brakes, or to have a front wheel bearing out, causing the brake calipers to rub against the disc.

Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe