1978 VOLKSWAGEN VAN RENOVATION PROJECT

• Hardie775
  • 1978 VOLKSWAGEN VAN

1978 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

I have a 1978 VW van with about 120000 miles that's been sitting, without ANY movement for at least 5 years now. What do you suggest I do before I turn it over for the first time. It's been suggested to drain the gas etc. Should I drain, flush and refill all the fluids. I'm anxious to turn this thing over but I don't want to create more problems.
ALSO; Where might I go, weather via the internet or physically to obtain info to complete this renovation quest.

Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 3:05 PM

• Racefan966

Ok first off you will need some seafoam for the tank and for the cylinders. I would pull out the spark plugs and put about a cap full of seafoam in each cylinder and turn it over by manually to ensure all it freed up. Then I would drain the fuel tank and put in some new fuel like 5 gallons or so and add the rest of the seafoam. Then change the oil and filter and put in a new fuel filter too. After all this is done then attempt to wake her up.

Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 3:20 PM