ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT TROUBLE

1977 Volkswagen Transporter

type2cat

November, 3, 2010 AT 9:22 AM

1977 Volkswagen Transporter 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 108539 miles

my bus sat in a garage for the last 17 years. Engine cranks, but won't start. Problem is I used jumper cables before I read in a manual not to use them because the surge is notorius for frying ecu. How do I check to see if this is my problem. The bus was running when parked in '93. Thank you

November, 3, 2010 AT 9:26 AM

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem

mechtrix

May, 7, 2011 AT 7:02 AM

I worked on a lot of those and I never saw a brain get fried from a jump start. Lots of goofy stories floating around about them old buses. It sounds to me like its gummy injectors among other fuel related problems everythings prety gluey by now since it sat for so long you might have to take em out test and clean them and such good luck.I shure love them old buses

mechtrix

May, 7, 2011 AT 7:02 AM