JETTA TD

1995 Volkswagen

TwinkieOF-Death

Hey,

For the past month, my 1995 Volkswagen Jetta TD (110000 miles) speedometer and the other gauge that measures how fast the motor is turning have been going on and off. When they're off, they sometimes vibrate when the car is on. The electronic gauge that measures how many miles you do always works fine. So I suspect its a connection problem inside the instrument cluster only relating to the speedometer and the other gauge. I've thought about opening it and checking the connection of the wires but I don't know where to start. I've got the equipment to solder electronic wires so any tips on what the problem is or which wire it might be inside the instrument cluster would be greatly appreciated. I know that there’s a ton of wires in there but any help would be appreciated.

Bruce Hunt

This one could be tough. I don't quite understand your mention of the vibration and what that does. Is it that after a vibration it will start working again? The Vehicle Speed Sensor I could be at fault, but so could the gauge itself. Get the maintenance manual to know how to take the dash apart. Check the wiring but I suspect there will be no problems found.

TwinkieOF-Death

The vibration is the tach's needle as if it wants to go up but it just vibrates up and down. Also, sometimes when I turn on my car they are working and then right after that if I try to restart my car, they dont work or vise versa. They usually go off at the same time but sometimes one is working and the other isn't. But that tach needles always vibrates if it isn't working.

Funny thing is that the the electronic gauge that measures how many miles you do always works fine. It still keeps tracts of how many miles I do even if the other gauges aren't working.

Don't know if that helps identify the problem but I hope it some how helps.

Im also wondering how the Speed Sensor I relates to the tach because doesn't it measure the speed at which the car is going?

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Bruce Hunt

Sorry about the I on the VSS. There isn't a lot of information to be found on the VSS and I know it sends the signal for the speedometer and the odometer. It does not provide a signal to the tach, so short of finding a loose connection in the wiring harness, I would guess that the cluster is the problem.

TwinkieOF-Death

Well I could get me hands on a instrument cluster but for a car running on gas. Is there any difference between a diesel and a gas cluster other then that orange light that idicates when you can start the car? And if yes, if I would add the orange light the the gas speedometer, would it work?

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement